Ribbon Roses Bridal Shower Cupcakes
Ribbon Roses Bridal Shower Cupcakes
Chocolate Marble Cupcakes
5 oz (150g) Butter - softened
5 oz (150g) fine(castor) sugar
6 oz (175g)self-raising flour
2 tablespoons cocoa / chocolate powder
1 tsp vanilla essence
2 tbsp milk (for more moist cupcakes)
1. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
2. Line a 12 cup cake / muffin pan, with paper cup cake cases.
3. In a cup ,lightly beat the eggs with a fork.
4. Place all the ingredients in a large bowl ( except the cocoa/chocolate powder)
5. Beat with an electric mixer for 2 minutes, until light and creamy.
6. Now take some of the cake mixture, place into a bowl and stir in the sifted cocoa / chocolate powder, mix to blend evenly. Then stir this chocolate mixture lightly into the main cake mix, do not over blend, the marble effect will be lost, Divide the mixture evenly between the cake cases. (about 2/3 full)Bake as normal.
7. Bake for 18-20 minutes until risen and firm / springy to touch or when a tooth pick inserted into cake comes out clean.
8. Allow to cool for a few minutes and then transfer to a wire rack.
9. Allow to cool fully before icing.
Decoration for cakes.
Ready to roll Fondant (I used Wilton Brand)
Icing Colors Blue, yellow or personal choice colors
Icing color Kelly green for leaves.
Some ready prepared Royal Icing in plain white.
A little water and a painting brush
Some Icing sugar for dusting purposes.
Disposable piping bag fitted with a small writing nozzle.
Apricot jam or some pre-prepared butter icing for top of the cake.
To assemble / decorate the cake.
1. Beat the Apricot jam with a fork to blend it evenly- if used, otherwise, ice the top of the cupcakes with some butter icing to keep the cakes moist and also to ensure the fondant stays in place.
2. Take ready to roll Fondant, the size of a golf ball, color it light blue hue using the Blue paste color or yellow(use a tooth pick to add color to the ball of Fondant, a little bit at a time until you get the desired color). You may need to dust it with a little icing sugar if it becomes too soft or sticky).Keep this fondant covered in plastic sheet, while you prepare the cake .
3. Take some white fondant and roll it to 1/8 inch thickness,using a
2 1/2 inch fluted round cutter, cut out rounds to cover the cupcakes, you may use plain round cutters too.Place it over the cake top and gently work it to cover the cake top.and press at the edges to cover cake top evenly.
4. For making the Ribbon roses or Rolled roses--Take some of the colored fondant, roll out to about 1/8 inch thickness. Cut a 1 x 5 in. strip, brush bottom edge with damp brush and begin rolling lightly from one end, gradually loosening roll as flower gets larger, gathering and pinching bottom edge to shape and secure. Fold cut edge under. Trim flower to desired height with scissors.Let dry.
For making leaves- take some green colored fondant, roll out to 1/8 inch thickness, using a medium rose leaf cutter,cut out leaves, place on thick sponge to dry before using.
5. Make the top of the Fondant covered cake into equal sections lightly with a tooth pick. Then using white or colored Royal Icing in a disposable icing bag fitted with a small writing nozzle ( or use parchment paper triangles to form into icing bags, fill with Royal Icing ) pipe sections on top of the cake.In the centre of the cake , brush some water and neatly arrange 3 Ribbon or rolled roses,press gently to secure in place the roses. Top up with green fondant cut leaves .Firmly press into place and leave to set. (You would need 3 completed ribbon rose or rolled roses and 3 cut leaves for each cake top).
I prepared this for my niece's wedding. These were one of the Gifts from the Bride to her Groom . It is customary and a Malay tradition in Malaysia, for the Bride and Groom to exchange gifts, which are decorated attractively on trays and presented to each other on the Wedding day. It is known as "Hantaran" / Gifts.
Click here to post comments
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Bridal Shower Cakes.